worlds header

ECSA1159 Worlds Coverage Links:
Coverage Page | Videos | Photos | History – 
Pre Event Photo Gallery

We’ve arrived here at Yatabe Arena located on the outskirts of the mammoth city of Tokyo in Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture – after a few days sightseeing its a true world metropolis and arriving at the world-renowned Yatabe Arena doesn’t disappoint either, hosting it’s 3rd World Championship (1995 EL Offroad & 2000 EL Onroad) and the 16th running of the IFMAR 1/10 EL Offroad Worlds.

ECSA1190 ECSA1172 ECSA1119 ECSA1141

As we regard our readers with the utmost respect, we take it most will know that the event has already seen some controversy – namely ‘Astrogate‘ – the decision to dispense with 30-years of history of running on dirt in favour of astroturf and carpet as the track surface. The former indoor onroad track has seen a complete makeover, with the permanent dirt track next door also ‘turfed’ serving as a useful test track for drivers, with no one having lapped the 2WD Worlds layout.

ECSA1142 ECSA1131 ECSA1128 ECSA1129More photos in Pre Event gallery

Back in December 2014 a poll saw 62% of readers voting to stick with history & dirt, however the remaining 38% accepting the astro/carpet combo…

Control tyre for the Worlds are Schumacher’s Mini Spike 2 Yellow compound with Med. Rear CAT foam insert for both 2WD and 4WD with Wide Stagger Rib Yellow compound with Med. Front CAT insert for the 4WD front.

2015_ifmar_worlds_sponsors

 

Expect lots and lots of new bits on cars and even completely new cars, some more than likely not to be released, we’ve seen few pros running on Friday afternoon, however Ty Tessmann was one of the standouts, running for the first time (publicly) on astroturf with the new D216 buggy (which is still officially unannounced, we hear delayed), we understand the HB team have been testing significantly on home turf (pun unintended) with hopes resting on the young but broad shoulders of Tessmann & Ronnefalk.

ECSA1130 ECSA1099 ECSA1118 ECSA1186

Elsewhere are a few sneaky shots of Naoto Matsukura’s heavily modded prototype RB6, featuring a 3 gear laydown transmission, new rear hubs and chassis. Expect a lot more news and details to surface in the coming days.

ECSA1208 ECSA1196 ECSA1197 ECSA1201ECSA1212ECSA1213ECSA1211ECSA1202

 

More photos in Pre Event gallery